I have been CTO of a small games company making mobile games (Stick Sports), lead engineer at a large games company making console games (EA), and have provided consulting and training to a wide array of companies inside and outside the games industry. I have excellent communication skills and am familiar with agile and test-driven development approaches.
These days my main tool for game development is Unity, but I have done plenty of development with other tools in the past including C++ development for console games. With many years experience in software engineering I am in a great position to advise and assist games companies to deliver their games in a timely, efficient and creative manner.
- Prototyping your new ideas with fast implementation and a tight feedback loop to rapidly test and develop those ideas.
- Getting your project off to a good start. Defining code architecture and establishing good practices. Setting you on the road to success.
- Rescuing and troubleshooting a project that has gone awry. Practical, pragmatic establishment of what to change and what to leave, what to fix and what to ignore, and lots of hard work to get your project back on track and delivered.
- Training your team. Improving their code and their methods. You keep the team you have, only they’re better than they were before.
- Expert programming skills – delivering quality code at a rapid pace.
"I love this man! Richard created our first prototype: in the morning he arrived at the King offices and we had nothing but documentation, in the evening he had finished our first build and we had our very first playable. Richard is an amazing listener and a smart developer - he will build it to spec if you want, but his broad experience allows him to also think with you and offer alternative solutions. Sometimes he'll be the one to finish the design on a feature, and then code it, because he saw something you didn't. Richard is simply awesome. Fact."
– Jesse America, Executive Producer, King
"Richard is simply a legend. Not only is he an insanely fast and skillful coder, he is also design-minded, solving problems smartly and independently. While working on our prototype here at King he was an invaluable asset both in terms of raw production and interpersonal skills, bringing his expertise and calm consideration to a fast-moving project. On top of that he is a really nice chap and all around great human being. He will be sorely missed and I cannot recommend Richard highly enough."
– Florian Ziegler, Studio Design Lead, King
"Richard joined the nascent Longbow Studio as a contractor for over 3 months. Over that time he was the only developer in the team. His understanding of games, his experience in game development, his ability to write and modify code really fast were incredible assets that allowed the team to move to a pace that would have been impossible otherwise. I would have gladly hired Richard for a full time position, was he interested in one, and I highly recommend him."
– Pietro Guardascione, Head of Studio, King
Past clients include
- EA Criterion
- Stick Sports
- The United Nations Climate Change Secretariat
- The Science Museum
- The BBC
- The British Museum
- Slider Studio
- The National Gallery
You can read my resumé here.